photo NathanAndJadeBlogB-02_zps90cf696c.png

Monday, July 13, 2015

Uncommon Days

I began the twenty five minute drive home from the orphanage. Discouragement settled in as I told myself I just wasted my day. The same forty two children were fed bottles, bounced around in their cribs and played in their classes. A six day old baby was just abandoned and the mommas carefully counted every ounce of formula she drank. Sweet Joy had an IV in her arm to fight the side effects of malaria. Balaam was as ornry as ever, refusing to participate in the breakfast routine. Beatrice led the other children with kindness. My lip began to quiver and tears settled into my eyes. I didn't fix anything today.  None of these beautiful children were reunited with their families. Not a single one went home to an adopted family. 






By the time I reached the produce stand on the top of the hill behind our house, my heart was ready to hear truth from the Lord. I did do something today, He reminded me. I did all I could do today.  I folded piles of laundry. I whispered "Nkwaagala" (I love you) into Kenny's ears. I showed Michael how to color in the lines. I sat long next to Momma Loy and talked with her in broken Luganda. She delighted in my attempts to communicate in her language. I changed diapers, wiped tears from sad eyes and fed hungry babies bottles. 




My heart aches to see these precious children in families and I want to see results right now.  I am moved by the uncommon life Christ lived and I long to live like Him. He is teaching me that the uncommon life is the product of the day lived in the uncommon way. He brought me here to mop floors, wipe dirty noses and soothe crying babies. He's asked me to pray and advocate for these kids. The results are not up to me alone. They are up to Him and His Church. 


Jesus was faithful to do what He could no matter how seemingly small to those around Him. And what I love is that what was great to Him was doing something small.  He taught only one woman at Jacob's well; He noticed a finger-touch on the hem of His garment; He stooped to take the little children up in his arms and bless them; even so small a thing as a cup of cold water, He said would yield a heavenly reward.  So I move forward one uncommon day at a time loving this world as best as He can through me.  And together we do as Wesley advised:

"Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can. As long as ever you can." 


(All photos by Gift of Today Photography. She took these stunning photos when she came to serve alongside our family last month.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment